Did you know that dental floss is often the most overlooked part of a person’s oral hygiene habits? It’s true because people tend to think that brushing their teeth is enough to keep their teeth clean or they simply don’t leave themselves enough time for the extra two minutes of flossing per day that are required.
To find the extra time in your life to floss every single day, consider the following guidelines:
– It is recommended by the American Dental Association to clean the areas between teeth at least once per day to remove food particles and plaque buildup that cannot be easily reached by brushing alone.
– Always use dental floss or an interdental cleaner that is dentist-approved or has the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– When flossing, never use the same strand of dental floss twice, as it can reinsert harmful bacteria back into your mouth.
– To floss your entire mouth with one strand, opt for a piece at least 18 inches long, wrapped around a finger on each hand, with a different section of the strand being used between each tooth.
– Always look for dental floss that is shred resistant, which is often the case for floss that uses single filament thread. Although multi-filament nylon thread is more likely to shred, it is just as effective at removing plaque and debris.
Be sure to visit our team at Ray McKinley DDS & Brittany McKinley-Holloway DDS in Shelby Township, Michigan, at least twice a year for oral exams and professional cleanings. Dr. Ray N. McKinley and Dr. Brittany McKinley-Holloway look forward to helping you with your oral health. To schedule an appointment please call 586-685-0880 today!