Cancer is the uncontrollable growth of cells that invade and damage the nearby tissues. Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate, sinuses, and throat. Oral cancer often appears as a persistent growth or sore in the mouth and can be life threatening if it is not diagnosed and treated early.
Mouth Cancer Symptoms
The following are some common symptoms of oral cancer:
- Swellings, bumps, or rough spots on the lips, gums, or inside the mouth
- White, red, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Numbness or pain in the face, mouth, or neck for an unexplained reason
- Sores on the face, neck, or mouth that bleed easily and will not go away
- A feeling like something is caught in the back of the throat
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Chronic sore throat
- A change in your bite
- Dramatic weight loss
During your routine dental appointments, Dr. McKinley and Dr. Holloway will screen for oral cancer. Our dentists will feel for lumps and irregularities in your neck, head, face, or oral cavity. Then they will examine your mouth for any sores or any of the symptoms mentioned above.
Oral Cancer Screening Shelby Township, MI
Oral cancer, like all forms of cancer, is life-threatening when untreated. However, when diagnosed early it is one of the most easily treatable forms of cancer, and can often be successfully treated. Our Shelby Township dentists and team are dedicated to detecting and treating oral cancers and other abnormalities as early as possible so that you can have the strongest possible chance of a successful treatment. We strongly encourage you to contact our office and schedule an appointment if you notice any of the symptoms listed above or experience any other type of dental pain. Your health is our highest priority.
If you have any questions or to schedule an oral cancer screening in Shelby Township, Michigan, contact our office today at 586-685-0880.