Unfortunately, gum disease is very common. It is also treatable, at Ray McKinley DDS & Brittany McKinley-Holloway DDS — McKinley General, Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry in Shelby Township MI.
If you keep your teeth and gums healthy, you will only need to visit the dentist for cleanings and checkups. Not major treatment. Here are some simple ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy:
1. Brush for two to three minutes, at least twice a day, with fluoridated toothpaste. Be sure to brush along the gumline. Remove the particles of food Don’t brush too hard, but be thorough. Scrubbing your gums aggressively can be painful and is a BIG don’t.
2. Floss daily to remove plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. Don’t like to floss? Try a floss holder, which makes it much easier to insert floss between teeth. But get over your aversion to flossing, unless you want cavities or periodontitis (advanced gum disease).
3. Although not a substitute for brushing and flossing, using a mouth rinse can halt plaque accumulation and keep your enamel strong. Remember that fluoride mouth rinses are not the same as mouthwashes. Mouthwashes have alcohol and are designed to freshen breath. (But they can contribute to dry mouth which can cause other problems.)
4. Eat a healthy diet. Starchy and sugary foods increase plaque. A wholesome diet provides the nutrients needed (Vitamins A and C, in particular) to keep teeth and gums healthy.
5. Avoid cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, which may bring about gingivitis (gum disease) or oral cancer. While you’re at it, avoid E-cigs and vapors.
6. Be aware that certain medications can also threaten a healthy smile. These include oral contraceptives, antidepressants and heart medicines. If your medications are affecting your dental health, speak with doctor McKinley .
7. Exercise preventive care and schedule regular checkups — the ideal way to detect early signs of gum disease and make a plan to reverse it.
8. Talk to your dentist about dental health topics such as old, broken fillings or crowded teeth.
9. If you grind your teeth, communicate with doctor McKinley about ways to safeguard your teeth.
At Ray McKinley DDS & Brittany McKinley-Holloway DDS — McKinley General, Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry in Shelby Township MI, we want all our patients to enjoy good dental health. We offer gum disease treatment, and a full range of general dentistry services. Call for an appointment today!