A smile can reflect a good heart and your best intentions. It’s one of your most valuable assets, and at Ray McKinley DDS & Brittany McKinley-Holloway DDS — McKinley General, Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry in Shelby Township MI we remind you to do whatever you can to protect it.
We’ve drawn up a list of five things we call “smile wreckers.”
- Sports Injuries: Nothing can wreck your smile faster than a knocked-out tooth, and playing sports can really put yours at risk. Even sports we think of as non-contact, like basketball, can get you an accidental elbow to the mouth. We’d never say don’t play; it’s too much fun. But always wear a mouth guard!
- Ice Chomping: Who isn’t tempted to crunch that ice at the bottom of your cup? There’s no sugar and no calories, so it may seem harmless enough. But biting down on something hard and frozen can chip or crack one or more teeth.
- Too Much Coffee: A lot of people rely on that morning cuppa joe to jump start the day. But coffee is a notorious stainer, and can give your teeth an unsightly brown tint. We’re realistic enough to not recommend giving it up. But try to drink some water afterward to rinse out any residue.
- Sticky Candy: First of all, we’ll never say that any candy is okay. We’re not allowed! We’re dentists! But everyone celebrates Halloween, right? A good rule of thumb going forward is: the stickier the candy, the worse it is for teeth. If sugar remains on your teeth for a long time, it forms plaque and cavities. When in doubt, try chocolate. Yes, chocolate! We mean the kind without nuts or a sticky center. It washes off the teeth quickly and easily!
- Overbrushing: Yes, it is possible to brush your teeth too much. We recommend brushing twice a day. But we recommend a light touch: brushing harder and longer won’t get your teeth any cleaner, and you really can hurt tooth enamel and your gums. Two minutes is enough. Use a soft-bristle brush and replace it every few months.
At Ray McKinley DDS & Brittany McKinley-Holloway DDS — McKinley General, Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry in Shelby Township MI we want you to have the best smile possible, and that means doing everything you can to protect it. People from Washington Township, Macomb, and Lakeside come to our practice for general and restorative dentistry. Contact us today!