Our teeth work hard and are constantly under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Unfortunately, enamel erosion is extremely pervasive, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal conditions, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Ray McKinley DDS & Brittany McKinley-Holloway DDS — McKinley General, Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry in Shelby Township, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and prevent future erosion if some has already transpired.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of adolescents already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Vigorous brushing can damage enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to prevent additional erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been affected. Call Ray McKinley DDS & Brittany McKinley-Holloway DDS — McKinley General, Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry in Shelby Township,\ today to schedule an examination. We will give you counsel on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion. Our services include general and cosmetic dentistry.
Contact Ray McKinley DDS & Brittany McKinley-Holloway DDS — McKinley General, Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
45665 Village Blvd
Shelby Township, Michigan